The Kaduna State Sector Command of the Federal Road Safety Corps said it prosecuted 2,362 traffic offenders between April 2 and May 4, 2021.
Its Sector Commander, Mr. Hafiz Mohammed, told newsmen in Kaduna on Saturday that the command was disturbed by the spate of traffic rules violation among motorists in the state.
According to him, the special intervention patrol was necessitated by the need to stem the tide of traffic law infractions within the metropolis and highways, noting that the infractions often led to deaths or life-threatening injuries with a negative impact on human and material resources.
“With resultant crashes, we initiated Special Intervention Patrols which resulted in the prosecution of 2,362 traffic offenders for violating 2,630 traffic-related offences within four weeks (between April 2 and May 4, 2021),’’ he said.
He expressed regrets about the negative effect of road crashes on the state’s socio-economic growth, saying that victims of road crashes were often found within the productive age categories of 17 and 45 years.
Mohammed added that such crashes always had immeasurable negative effects on the society and economy, as most families were left traumatised by the loss of loved ones and their breadwinners.
He identified seat belt violation, number plate violation, use of expired/worn-out tyres, speed limit device violation, and caution sign violation as more prevalent within the period under review.
READ ALSO: ICPC nabs two FRSC officials for certificate forgery
Also, Mohammed said the special intervention patrols formed part of strategies put in place by the command to reduce road crashes in the state.
“Other measures include special patrols to address the traffic challenges associated with rickety vehicles which were initiated in Kaduna Sector and component Unit Commands of Kafanchan, Zaria, Birnin Gwari, Sabon Tasha, Kakau, Kachia, Katari, Saminaka, Birnin Yero, Gwantu, Tashan Yari, and Pambegua.
“In addition, there are 11 outposts to help in getting rid of mechanically deficient vehicles in the state,” he added.
By Victor Uzoho
Join the conversation
Southern California parents die of covid-19, leaving behind five children — including a newborn
The Macias children, who are being cared for by Daniel’s parents, have not quite grasped what has happened to their mother and father, Serey said. After Daniel died on Sept. 9, a counselor explained to the two eldest children, 7 and 5, that both of their parents were gone, Serey said. While the oldest child — Daniel and Davy’s only son — understood the situation, his younger sister is “still looking for mommy,” Serey said. All of the children, Serey has heard from the grandparents, “spend a lot of time at night looking for mom and dad.”
Thomas Stemen sentenced to 10 years in prison for injecting stranger with semen
Last week, Stemen, 53, was sentenced in Anne Arundel County Circuit Court to 10 years in prison for the February 2020 assault at a grocery store in Churchton, Md. He was also convicted of second-degree assault for making contact with, but not hurting, a 17-year-old girl in the same supermarket, and sentenced to five years of probation for that.
Photographer Alejandro Prieto wins award for photo of roadrunner “blocked” by Trump’s border wall
Prieto, who has been documenting wildlife for more than 20 years, has been on a mission to show how plants and animals along the U.S.-Mexico border have responded to the barriers. A lot of attention was placed on how the wall would affect immigration and drug smuggling, he said, but he worried about the natural ecosystem.