Connect with us

News

FG to increase hazard allowance for health workers by 350 percent

Published

on

FG to increase hazard allowance for health workers by 350 percent

[ad_1]

The federal government has disclosed its intention to increase hazard allowance for all health workers in public health establishments in the country.

This was disclosed by the labour minister, Ngige while briefing journalists at the end of a meeting between the presidential committee on salaries (PSC), relevant federal government stakeholders, health professionals association and trade unions on Wednesday in Abuja.

The labour minister called the meeting to discuss the issue of hazard allowance and retirement age for health workers in government establishments.

Ngige said the stakeholders were able to reach fruitful resolutions in the meeting.

“The federal government has moved up from the N5,000 monthly hazard allowance paid to all health workers in Nigeria and now offering 350 percent and 600 percent increments for junior workers and senior workers respectively,” he said.

“The government side led by the minister of state for budget and planning, gave a counter offer to the earlier submissions made by the Nigerian Medical Association (NMA) and affiliate associations and the Joint Health Sector Unions (JOHESU).

“The Government side gave them that offer based on the realities that we have on ground, that the economy is not doing very well and the capital component of the budget is actually being funded on borrowing. The earnings of the government have also drastically gone down.

“So, they are going back to their people with the government offer and they asked for two weeks adjournment to enable them to conclude consultation with their members and report back to us.”

Ngige said they agreed that the offers should be left as they are until both parties go back for consultations with their members and return in two weeks’ time for further negotiations.

“But we moved from the N5000 hazard allowance per month, which was long forgotten until COVID-19 struck. During COVID-19, the government spent about N31billion for three months,” he said.

“So, I think the government side has offered things that are very reasonable, increasing the former positions of junior and senior health workers.”

The minister also said the federal government has agreed to increase the retirement age of doctors and other health workers from 60 to 65 years and 70 years for consultants.

On April 1, members of the Nigerian Association of Resident Doctors (NARD) embarked on an indefinite strike to ask that the federal government meet their 10-point demands which include an upward review of the hazard allowance.

The association later suspended its strike on April 10 after signing of a new agreement with the federal government.

 



[ad_2]

Source link

Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Southern California parents die of covid-19, leaving behind five children — including a newborn

Published

on

By

[ad_1]

The Macias children, who are being cared for by Daniel’s parents, have not quite grasped what has happened to their mother and father, Serey said. After Daniel died on Sept. 9, a counselor explained to the two eldest children, 7 and 5, that both of their parents were gone, Serey said. While the oldest child — Daniel and Davy’s only son — understood the situation, his younger sister is “still looking for mommy,” Serey said. All of the children, Serey has heard from the grandparents, “spend a lot of time at night looking for mom and dad.”

[ad_2]

Source link

Continue Reading

News

Thomas Stemen sentenced to 10 years in prison for injecting stranger with semen

Published

on

By

[ad_1]

Last week, Stemen, 53, was sentenced in Anne Arundel County Circuit Court to 10 years in prison for the February 2020 assault at a grocery store in Churchton, Md. He was also convicted of second-degree assault for making contact with, but not hurting, a 17-year-old girl in the same supermarket, and sentenced to five years of probation for that.

[ad_2]

Source link

Continue Reading

News

Photographer Alejandro Prieto wins award for photo of roadrunner “blocked” by Trump’s border wall

Published

on

By

[ad_1]

Prieto, who has been documenting wildlife for more than 20 years, has been on a mission to show how plants and animals along the U.S.-Mexico border have responded to the barriers. A lot of attention was placed on how the wall would affect immigration and drug smuggling, he said, but he worried about the natural ecosystem.

[ad_2]

Source link

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2020 PRUMETRICS