Connect with us

News

10 blue helmets injured during attack in Central African Republic  – The Maravi Post

Published

on


According to MINUSCA, the blue helmets were part of the Egyptian Constituent Police Unit and were shot by elements of the presidential guard. Two were seriously injured.  

The peacekeepers arrived on November 1 at M’Poko International Airport, as part of the periodic rotation and deployment of troops in the country and were heading to their base, when they came under heavy fire from the presidential guard, said a statement released by the mission. 

According to MINUSCA, it happened “without any prior warning or response, even though they were unarmed.” 

The mission added that it “strongly condemns what appears to be a deliberate and unjustifiable attack.” 

Civilian killed 

Peacekeepers from MINUSCA’s Burundian contingent on patrol in Bokengue, MINUSCA/Leonel Grothe

In its attempt to withdraw from the area, located about 120 meters from the presidential residence, the Egyptian Constituent Police Unit bus, accidentally struck and killed a woman bystander, the statement said. 

The mission said it deplored the events that had led up to the accident, and offered condolences to the victim’s family, during a meeting with family members later in the day. 

Investigation 

The leadership of MINUSCA and the Government of CAR, immediately opened an investigation into the deadly incident, including examining the event in accordance with legal obligations outlined in the Status of Forces Agreement. 

MINUSCA was established by the Security Council in 2014, to provide security, humanitarian, human rights and political support to the country, following years of civil unrest. Some 157 peacekeepers have lost their lives in the line of duty. 

In 2013, CAR became engulfed by intercommunal violence led by mainly Christian anti-balaka militia, and a mainly Muslim coalition, known as Séléka. 

Last month, a unilateral ceasefire was declared by President Faustin Archange Touadéra and although much of the country remains under the control of armed groups, positive steps are being taken to strengthen democracy and stability, according to MINUSCA head, Mankeur Ndiaye, briefing the Security Council in October. 
Sourced from United Nations Africa Pages

News

Embattled NOCMA deputy boss Buluma faces probe over “Wasteful MK3.9m security details” – The Maravi Post

Published

on

By


By Thandie Chadzandiyani

LILONGWE-(MaraviPost)-National Oil Company of Malawi (Nocma) deputy chief executive officer Helen Buluma has been given seven days to respond to allegations that the institution is draining K3.9 million monthly on her security detail by the Office of the Ombudsman.

The action by the Ombudsman follows a complaint from Human Rights Defenders Coalition (HRDC) that Buluma and her residence are guarded by armed police officers and private bodyguards outside her entitlement.

In a letter Reference OMB-LL-2021-357, dated November 22, 2021 titled ‘Investigations Into Allegations of Abuse of Office and Acts of Maladministration by Nocma deputy CEO, Ombudsman Grace Malera instructs Buluma to respond to the allegations by December 2 2021.

The copy of Nocma employees’ Conditions of Service, the State oil firm’s CEO and the deputy are entitled to a day security guard and two night security guards plus an alarm or rapid response system.

Reads the Ombudsman’s letter, in part: “ In particular, you are to respond to the issues relating to allegations in relation to abuse of office by yourself as deputy chief executive officer in getting security detail not in line with your entitlements, provide information and supporting documents relating to your entitlement where the issue of security for your person and your residence is concerned,

“lf, indeed, you are getting security details as per the allegations in the complaint, explain the authority under which the same benefit is being accorded to you and, if, indeed, you ore getting security details as per the allegations, provide information as to how such services are being paid for—whether the services are being charged to Nocma and why?”

However Buluma could not be reached on her mobile phone and she also did not respond to any question.

Continue Reading

News

Ghanaian man brutaly murders Zambian girlfriend – The Maravi Post

Published

on

By


ACCRA-(MaraviPost)-A ZAMBIAN national by the name of Elizabeth Mudenda, aged 22 years old was found dead by neigbhours in Ho, Volta Region on Monday, November 22, 2021.

According to the statement issued by the Zambian High Commission in Ghana Accra, the neighbours discovered the body of the deceased in the house of the named boyfriend following the detection of a strong stench from the house.

The statement further said the Ho Police Command in Volta Region are still investigating the murder and have since launched a manhunt for the boyfriend who is the prime suspect in the murder of the deceased as he is now on the run.

Meanwhile, the Police have since informed the family of the deceased in Zambia and as of yesterday the family confirmed with the High Commission about the death of the Zambian national.

The body of the deceased has been deposited in the Ho Municipality Hospital Morgue for autopsy, and an update will be provided once the investigations have been concluded.

The Mission in Accra is deeply saddened by this unfortunate incident and wishes to convey its sincere condolences to the family of the deceased.

Continue Reading

News

South Africa protests travel restrictions amid new covid-19 variant – The Maravi Post

Published

on

By


– Advertisement –

The South African government has complained that it is being punished instead of being  applauded for discovering new covid-19 variant Omicron.

The  country’s foreign ministry made the statement as countries around the world restrict travel from southern African countries as the variant spread.

The World Health Organization (WHO) said the  new variant was being considered as “of concern” due to higher re-infection risk.

The new variant  first reported to the WHO from South Africa has  been detected in Botswana, Hong Kong and Israel.

Several cases have also been identified in the UK, Belgium, Germany and the Czech Republic.

– Advertisement –

Travel bans

Hundreds of passengers arriving in the Netherlands from South Africa are being tested for the new variant.

Dutch officials said 61 people on two KLM flights tested positive for Covid-19 and have been quarantined at a hotel near Amsterdam’s Schiphol airport while they have further tests.

The Netherlands is currently struggling with a record-breaking surge in cases with  an extended partial lockdown expected to come into force  on Sunday.

– Advertisement –

SA cries foul

A statement by the South African foreign ministry has  strongly criticized the travel bans.

“Excellent science should be applauded and not punished,” it said.

The SA government said the  bans were “akin to punishing South Africa for its advanced genomic sequencing and the ability to detect new variants quicker”.

Source: Africafeeds.com

Source: Africa Feeds

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2020 PRUMETRICS